The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Second layer from bottom
Second layer from top
Which layer of the epidermis are stem cells found and what kind of cells do they create?
Deepest, the stratum basale
Stem cells give rise to keratinocytes, which represents a great majority of epidermal cells
What is the only layer in the epidermis that Melanoncytes are found and what do they produce? What is the purpose of this product?
Deepest layer, the stratum basale.
Melanin, brown to black pigment that gives the skin its color and shields DNA from UVA
What do keratinocytes do with melanin granules?
Keratinocytes phagocytize (eat) these fragments and accumulate melanin granules on the “sunny side” of the nucleus. This shields the DNA in the nucleus from UVA radiation
- (Langerhans) cells
- •Macrophages (immune cells) originating in bone marrow and migrate to epidermis and
- epithelia of oral cavity; guard against pathogens
•Found in stratum spinosum and granulosum
•Stand guard against toxins, microbes, and other pathogens that penetrate skin
•In basal layer of epidermis
- •few in number, they are touch receptor cells associated with dermal nerve fibers
- (anytime sensation is involved, must have a nerve fiber nearby to be
What are the five types of cells in the epidermis?
- Stem cells
- Tactile cells
- Dendritic (Langerhans cells)