Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is diversity?
The human characteristics that make people different from one another
Managing diversity is…
A strategic initiative designed to capitalize on an organization’s diverse talent pool.
- Different from Human Rights
- Illegal to discriminate in employment on the prohibited grounds
- Different from Employment Equity
- Affirmative action programs to increase employment opportunities of women, people with disabilities, Aboriginals, visible minorities
Diversity vs. Employment Equity
- Employment Equity
- - Involves only four designated groups
- - Not legislated in Ontario
- - To undo past employment discrimination
- - Concept for ALL employees
- - Voluntary initiative
- - As a strategic advantage to reach business results
Why manage diversity?
Workplaces are becoming increasingly diverse
Benefits of Diversity In the workplace
Fewer discrimination suits
Better able to relate to customers’ needs
Improved reputation of the business
Advantages re globalization
Goal of any diversity strategy
Creation of an equitable or fair employment system in order to improve the bottom-line.
Challenges in managing diversity
Balancing individual needs with group fairness
Coping with resistance to change
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview