The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
sufficient energy and essential nutrients
choose foods from all food groups
calories in = calories out
provide enough but not too much
measure of nutrients a food provides relative to its calories
eat a wide selection within each food groups
my plate includes?
myplate balancing calories?
- enjoy your food but eat less
- avoid oversized portions
myplate foods to increase
- make half plate fruits and veggies
- make atleast half your grains whole grains
- switch to fat-free of low fat milk
my plate foods to reduce?
- drink water instead of sugary drinks
- reduce sodium
limitations of myplate?
- does not address the types of foods to choose within each group
- shows how to build a health plate at mealtime, but not total diet (snacks)
- access to info may be limited
treated, changes properties of food
often loses nutrients during processing
nutrients added back in
vitamins and minerals
starch and some protein
when processed (refined) the
bran and germ are removed
food labels are?
required on all packaged foods
comparison on how a food contributes to total diet
DRV for cholesterol?
- 5% or less is low
- 20% or more is high
exceptions to food labeling?
- fresh fruits and vegetables