The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is matter?
Matter is the material the universe is composed of.
- Matter has mass
- Matter takes up space
Physical properties of matter
Those in which can be observed without changing the composition.
Color, size, luster, and density
Chemical Properties of matter
Those in which indicate the composition of the sample, and change as a result of the observation of these properties.
Flammability and reactivity
Physical Changes in matter
Changes that occur without changing the composition of the sample
(Solid, liquid, and gas)
Chemical Changes of matter
Involve a change in the composition of the substance
Produce a new substance or create a chemical reaction
What is a Element
Substances that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical reactions.
What is a compound?
- Are made of multiple elements combined to form a substance.
- Can be broken down to into elements
- Not related to the elements that composed it
What is a pure substance?
- Can be elements or compounds
- Have the same physical and chemical properties
What is a mixed substance?
- Variable composition
- Made of pure substances
- Homogenous or heterogenous
- Uniform in composition
- Appears to be only one thing (solution)
Non-uniform misture that contain different properties
Different boiling points
(Salt water boiling and separated from salt and into distilled water and salt)