The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The goal of thermodynamics is to predict whether a reaction will occur ___, which in a chemical sense, means it will ___.
- continue without energy input once started
First Law of Thermodynamics
Energy is neither created nor destroyed but can be transformed.
Second Law of Thermodynamics
With a spontaneous reaction, the entropy of the universe increases.
In a spontaneous reaction
- free energy decreases, DG is negative energy
- is released by the reaction reaction is said to be exergonic
In a non-spontaneous reaction
free energy increases, DG is positive energy is absorbed by the reaction reaction is said to be endergonic
ATP drives several processes
- Biosynthesis of biomolecules
- Active transport across membranes
- Mechanical work (e. g. muscle contraction)
- Can carry phosphoryl groups from higher-energy compounds to lower-energy compounds.