Women in art hist
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Johann Zoffany's group portrait "The Academicians of the Royal family" did not include
Kaufmann and Moser
American Feminism expressed itself
the category _______ remains an unstable one. Meaning fixed only int relation to dominant ,ale paradigms of art and femininity
Feminists of color and lesbian feminists challenged attempts to identify an inclusive "female image" should be collapsed into a _______
feminists identify ways that femininity is evidenced in representation. critical practice that resist positioning as a spectacle, or __________
object of the male gaze
- famed portrait painter
- Spain and Austria
- father refused to let her be a court painter
Interest in Robusti expressed was a pop subj for _________ attracted by the familial bonds and melancholy of her early death
some women have suffered over-attribution to them of
- only female member of the painters guild to have had a workshop, actively involved in the art market, and have 3 male pupils
- "The Proposition"
access to education and the covenant was often determined by
______ provided an alternative to marriage
first documented example of an extended cycle of miniatures worked on by a woman is the Spanish monk ____
Beatus of Liebana
- embroidery as an artistic pursuit
- inspiration for women isolated in the home
Hrotvist of Ganderscheim
- first poet of Saxony
- first german dramatist and historian
- self-deprecation in exaggerated convention of female humility
Herrad of Landsberg
- illustrated encyclopedia
- Hortus Deliciarum
Holdegard of Bingen
- visionary book of knowledge "The Scavias"
- "The Divine works of a simple Man"
- "Meritorious Life"
- 60 hymns, a miracle play, 9 books on nature
- 8-10k children attending school to learn letters
Leon Battista Alberti
- "On the Family"
- women virtues chastity/motherhood
______ and ______ knowledge reveals the close links between humanist thought, science, and art at the time.
scientific and theoretical
____ thinkers advocated a certain equality of education
- new conventions for self-portraiture
- 3 years of private training
Campi painting Sofonisba first example of woman artist in role of
object of representation
male writer responded to Anguissola as prodigy of nature
Italian city with university that educates woman and a female saint who painted
St. Catherine of Bologna
- cult flourished in the 16th + 17th century.
- Latin and skill in painting, music, illumination
only 16th century engraver to sign prints with own name
Properzia de Rossi
- Italian sculptor in marble
- persecuted until she was finally paid a low price for her work
- painted style combined Counter-reformation pietism
- "Portia wounding her thigh"
- skill and speed led to gossip father was claiming her work
- Rape trial
- less with virtue and more about fathers legal property
- "Susanna and the elders"
only portrait mini painter of Flemish origin employed at court
three volumes on insects
Maria van Oosterwyck
moral transience of worldly things
asymmetrical spiraling compostion
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview