Psychology 1010 CH1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is psychology?
uses science to try and understand why people behave the way they do. Both abnormally and normally.
What is psychology the science of?
Mind and behavior
What are the three levels of analysis?
- 1) Brain
- 2) Person
- 3) Group
What is level of brain?
activity and structure of the organ
What is the level of person?
contents and functions of the mind. Mental contents and mental processes.
What is the level of the group?
collection of people affect behavior.
What is the root of psychology?
philosophy and physiology
Who was scientist Descartes?
mind and body
Who was scientist Locke?
experience of the world
What did early scientific psychologist?
not interests in behavior, interested in how information is interpreted
What is first school of thought?
- Wundt (building blocks of consciousness)
Sensations (Organs) and Feelings (Anger, happiness, etc. )
What is introspection? What school of thought?
Looking from withing during or shortly after the behavior. Structuralism.
What is functionalism?
why humans think, feel, and behave the way they do. Influence by Darwinism.
- OVERALL perception
- WHOLE is more than sum of its parts
some components of the mind are unconscious. How conscious and unconscious thoughts affect behavior
- stimulance / response
- -against unseen phenomena
- Positive values, free will, deep inner creativity, personal growth, fulfilling lives.
Rogers - Client Centered Therapy
Strengths and virtues enable a person to thrive
- Computer approach (Human info processing)
- - Negative thoughts cause depression
Cognitive psychology with brain physiology
- Compare humans to animal traits.
- Certain cognitive strategies are built into brain because of natural selection
- psych therapy
- administer tests
help people learn to change
help people deal with everyday life
teaching and research
- Cognitive- thinking, memory
- Social- group function
- Personality- individual diff in preference and inclination
use findings to improve products and procedures
- -Develop: design products
- - Physiological: studies brain and help company brain things
- - Social: group of people like JURY
Personality: design new tests
Industrial / Organizational: work environment
Sport- improve athletic performance
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview