Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
A system of alternative medicine based on the theory that diseases can be successfully treated or prevented without the use of drugs, by techniques such as control of diet, exercise, massage, water treatment, fasting, herbal med, homoepathy, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, iridology etc
- The“Father of Medicine” believed that disease was an outcome of imbalances – both externals & internal.
- Hippocratic therapy focused on supporting natural healing process
Greek - Travelled and had enormous output of books. Herbal contains info on each plants a& its habitat with a note about its use in medicine
Consideredthe father of American naturopathy. Studied with Father Kneipp in Opened the American School of Naturopathy & the 1st health food store. Believed body had ability to heal itself and adapt to environ changes
Wrote Canon Medicinae - info about diseases drugs & medical theories in Arab world. Translated & became standard wrk at Uni's
What is the Doctrine of Signatures?
Philosophy shared by herbalists - states that herbs that resemble various parts of the body can be used to treat complaints of that part of the body.
Describe the concept of Nature Cure.
- A system of building the body in harmony with the constructive principal in nature in the physical mental and moral structures.
- Natural living, eating vegetarian, using light & air to promote recovery & well-being.
List the 6 core principles of naturopathy
- First do no harm
- Treat the whole person
- Doctor as teacher
- Identify & treat the cause
- The healing power of nature
How Paracelsus influenced natural medicine
contributions include the doctrine of signatures, astronomical, medical, alchemical & psychological insights.
Four pillars Paracelsus based his medicine
- Virtue (gives physicians support without which the other 3 could never be solid)
What are the 5 elements considered the building blocks?
- Phlogiston - 'life force'
A form of chemistry& speculative philosophy practiced in the Middle Ages & concernedprincipally with discovering methods for transforming baser metals into gold& with finding a universal solvent & an solution of life.
How did Galen influence the evolution of natrual medicine?
Worked in Rome as physician to gladiators. Gained lots of practical knowledge as trauma & sports medicine specialist. Understood human body well and how to care for & optimise healing & function. Had influence worldwide due to his knowledge
What is the doctrine of signatures?
A system used to determine the therapeutic properties of plants. Based on matching plants’ appearance, structure & biological behaviors with disease expressions of the human body.
What is yin?
Negative, cool element
What is yang?
Positive, bright warm element
What is the concept of yin and yang?
Concept of two things being opposite & complimentary to each other.
Physiology & anatomy of yin and yang
- Bowels are yang & viscera are yin
- The back is yang & the abdomen is yin
- vital energy is yang & blood is yin.
Yin imbalance shows as....
Cold deficiency symptoms such as debility & depression, cold limbs & fondness for warmth
Yang imbalance shows as....
Heat and excitability, heavy breathing and cracked lips.
What is Qi?
- The basic element or energy which makes up thehuman body and supports vital activities.
- Two types. Born with one which should take throught to 100 yrs, 2nd is manufactured from breathed air and food and drink consumed.
What is the concept of Qi?
That strong organ function & efficient metabolism are the results of the two essences being full & abundant, allowing us to generate an excess of energy each day.
The Six External Devils of yin and yang
- Summer heat
The Seven internal Devils of yin and yang
What diagnostic methods does chinese medicine use?
- Inspection - observe & tongue & nails
- Auscultation - patient voice, breathing, cough & belching
- Palpation - Pulse taking, index, ring & middle
- Imbalances - Ext & int imbalances (int blood, moisture & Qi)
- Common sense - Moderation of all things
The 5 energy manifestations according to Ayurveda
- Ether (space)
The central philosophies of Ayurvedic medicine
- The art of restoring & preserving wholeness via yoga, astrology & meditation.
- Physical, subtle & Casual =
- Body, mind & spirit
The Pancha Karma treatment method
- Internal cleansing - Ayurveda.
- Prior - diet & hers to improve digestion. 2 wks to a few months
- Preminilary - Daily massage with special medicated oils & sweating therapies.
- Allows humors to GI tract for elimination from body.
The 5 main purification processes of Pancha Karma
- Therapeutic emesis (vomiting for Kapha)
- Purgation for pitta
- Medicated enemas for vata
- Therapeutic bleeding at specific body sites
- Oils or decoctions taken through nose to cleanse brain & nervous system.
Ayurveda diagnostic techniques to monitor the interactions between order (health) & disorder (disease).
Observation of the pulse, tongue, face, eyes, nails & lips
- Vata - that which blows
- Pitta - cooks & digests things
- Kapha - sticks & clings
Vata biological & emotional qualities
- Breathing, blinking, muscular movement, heart beat, contractions, cell membrane movement.
- Nervousness, fear, anxiety, pain, tremor, spasms.
Pitta biological & emotional qualities
- Digestion, assimilation, body temp, skin colouration, eye lusture, intelligence, understanding.
- Anger, hate, jealousy
Kapha biological & emotional qualities
- Resistance, strength, joint lubrication, skin moisture, would healing ability, biological strength, memory retention, energy of heart & lungs.
- Emotional attachments, greed, long standing envy, calmness, forgiveness, love.
Type of medicine the Egyptians used?
Likes are cured by likes.
The concept of 'Vision Quest'
- North American Indian training to ensure continuation of native healer tradition & basis of ecological religious belief.
- Self & denial, no food, water or shelter, continuing until person had suitable vision.
- Undertaken at puberty & sometimes later in life
Define a “N’anga”.
Zimbabwe practitioner. Minister of religion & diagnostician & healer. Spirityally endowed. Can contact spiritual worls to learn ancestrial spirits resposible for illness or death and rectification methods.
3 principles of treatment according to N'anga.
- Finding the cure
- Curing the illness
Responsible for germ therory?
Robert Koch role in bacteriology study
Published paper which proved germ theory of disease beyond shadow of doubt. Laid down principles known as Koch's Postulates - to prove bacterium produced specific condition 4 requirements must be met.
Naturopathis understanding of how to optimise immunity & prevent develop of disease.
sanitation, hygiene and nutrition.
1. What is active immunisation?
Administration of an antigen as a killedmicro-organism, a component of a micro-organism, or a live, attenuated(weakened) organism.
What is Nature Cure?
- System of building body in harmony with constructive principle in nature of physical, mental & moral structures of existence.
- Importance of natural living, vegetarian diet & use of light and air to promote recovery & wellbeing
What is the primary causes of disease according to nature cure
Barring accident or surgical injury to the human and surroundings hostile to human life, is violation of nature’s laws.
The effects of violation of nautres laws
- Lowered vitality
- Abnormal composition of blood & lymph
- Accumulation of waste matter, morbid materials & posisons.
- Acute reaction resulting from ascendancy of natures healing forces over disease conditions.
- Tendency toward recovery
Acute reaction resulting from ascendancy of disese conditions over healing forces of the organism. Tendency is towards fatal termination.
Contributions of Bernard Lust to naturopahy
- Opened ‘American School of Naturopathy’
- Health resorts known as yungborn
- Founded American Naturopathic Association
- Published the Universal Naturopathic Encyclopedia for drugless therapy and Nature's Path magazine.
- Known as the Father of Naturopathy in America. Introduced Americans to natural healing concepts & therapeutics inc Ayurvedic & yoga
Program of nature cure
Eliminating tea, coffe & cocoa that contains poisons, meat, improper hrs of living, waste of vital forces, lowered vitality, sexual & social aberrations, worry etc
Corrective habits of nature cure
Correct breathing, exercise, mental attitude, moderation in pursuit of health and wealth.
Nature cure new principles of living
Proper fasting, food, hydropathy,light and air baths, mud baths, osteopathy, chiropractic etc, organic mineral salts, electropathy,heliopathy, steam or Turkish baths, sitz baths
Difference between healing crisis and disease crisis
- Disease crisis - body cleanses down to point where body can tolerate poisonous waste & does not completely eliminate it all.
- Healing crisis - body can complete eliminate all toxic waste in body at that time
The seven princples to manage chronic disease
- Do no harm
- Seek and remove external causes
- Attend to nutrition
- Detoxify the patient
- Prescribe indicated homoeopathic remedies
- Correct musculoskeletal defects
- Educate patient to maintain health to prevent reoccurance or new development by using previous principles
3 stages of a healing crisis
Hering’s Law of Cure.
All cure starts from within out, from the head down, from most important organ to least important and in the reverse order as the symptoms first appeared.
The common toxic elements
- Heavy metals
- Toxic Chemicals
- Microbial compounds
- Breakdown products of protein metabolism
Purpose of supervised naturopathic fast
- To have complete rest
- To treat chronic disease or feverish condition
- To clear toxins from the body
- Therapeutic applications of water - bathing, hot & cold packs, sprays, spas, saunas.
- To bring about stimulation, relaxation, healing, sedation etc
Temperature in hydrotherapy
To enhance the flow of blood through the eliminative organse therefore eliminating undesirable elements & toxins
- Short hot <5 - stimulates circulation
- Long hot >5 - depresses circulation
- Short cold <1 - Stimulates circulation
- Long hot >1 - Depresses circulation
Physiological & metabolic effects of short cold hydrotherapy
- Inc oxygen absorption
- Inc carbon dioxide excretion
- Inc tissue tone
- Inc peripheral WBC & RBC count
- Dec blood glucose levels
Physiological & metabolic effects of hot hydrotherapy
- Inc oxygen absorption
- Inc carbon dioxide excretion
- Dec tissue tone
- Dec peripheral WBC & RBC count
- Inc blood glucose levels
Types of heavy metals and body area affected
- Lead, mercury, cadmium, arsenic, nickel & aluminium.
- Brain, kidneys & immune system
Types of toxic chemicals and body area affected
- Drugs, alcohol, solvents, formaldehyde, pesticides, herbicides & food additives
Types of microbial compounds and body area affected
- toxins produced by bacteria & yeast in the gut.
- implicated in liver disease, crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, thyroid disease, psoriasis, pancreatitis, allergies, asthma & immune disorders.