The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
hyperbole (plural hyperboles)
- (uncountable) Extreme exaggeration or overstatement; especially as a literary or rhetorical device.
- (uncountable) Deliberate exaggeration.
- (countable) An instance or example of this technique.
- (countable, obsolete) A hyperbola.
- Synonyms overstatement exaggeration
- Antonyms meiosis understatement
- Derived terms hyperbolic
Understatement Noun understatement (plural understatements)
- a disclosure or statement that is less than complete restraint or lack of emphasis, especially for ironic effect
- Related terms understate
(rhetoric) A figure of speech in which the speaker emphasizes the magnitude of a statement by denying its opposite; a figure of speech in which understatement is used with negation to express a positive attribute; a form of irony
- A proposition that is the diametric opposite of some other proposition.(rhetoric) A device by which two contrasting ideas are juxtaposed in parallel form.
- Antonyms epitome
- Related terms antithetical