- Death Benefits and Funeral Payments- If an insured dies as a result of injuries sustained in an automobile accident, death benefits are payable to the insured’s spouse. o Dependants,
- o Or both (if applicable).
- In addition, PIPP will pay for grief counseling for immediate family members.
- Spouses or common law partners receive different amounts than dependents.
- The amounts depend on a number of factors, including the deceased’s age,
o The deceased’s gross yearly employment income,
o And the age of dependent children.
- The indemnity amounts are described in the MPIC Act,
- But they are beyond the scope of this course.
- A dependant who is disabled on the insured dies receives an additional lump sum indemnity if the person providing support dies as a result of a motor vehicle accident.
- If deceased insureds have no dependant on the day they die,
o Their children
o And parents are entitled to a lump sum indemnity even though they are not dependents.
- The Corporation will also reimburse funeral expenses,
o Including the cost of transporting the deceased
o And cost of a grave marker,
o Up to a maximum amount stated in the MPIC Act.
- It pays these expenses directly
o Or reimburses the deceased’s estate if the bills have already been paid.