Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is critical thinking?
a combination of reasoned thinking, openness to alternatives, an ability to reflect, and a desire to seek the truth
- interesed in seeking truth
when planning nursing care ....
gather information -> draw tentative (vorlaeufig/vorsichtig) conclusion about the meaning of data-> identify the client's problem ---> then think of several actions to solve/relief the problem
What are skills in critical thinking refer to ?
to cognitive (intellectual ) processes used in complex thinking orperations such as problem-solving and decision making.
What are chritical thinking attitudes ?
- feelings and traits of mind
- attitiude and character determine whether chritical tinking skills are used fairly or with an open mind:
- independent thinking (do not automatically walk with the crowd)
- intellectual curiosity (love to learn new things)
- intellektual humility (aware not to know everything, reevaluate with new data)
- intellectual empathy (try to see the situation of the other person)
- intellectual courage (examine own and other's beliefs, even if it is uncomfortable)
- intellectual perseverance (not just jump to quick and easy conclusions)
- fair mindedness (examine own biases)
Why is critical thinking important for nurses?
- - nurses deal with complex situations (e.g.comorbidity)
- - clients are unique (individual differences, culture, roles, age, personal bias, personality,previous experience)
- they apply knowledge to provide holistic care (applied discipline, use of knowledge from other fields, fast paced )
What are the different kinds of nursing knowledge?
- theoretical (information, facts, evidence based theories)
- practical (knowing what to do and how)
- personal (self-understanding, awareness of own beliefs, biases, values...)
- ethical (obligations, wright or wrong, moral principles for moral decisions)
What is the nursing process?
- systematic problem-solving process that guides all nursing actions.
- ANA organizes its standards or care around the nursing process