Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is covered by the 1st amendment
- Freedom of religion
- Freedom of speech
- Freedom of press
- Right to peaceably assemble
What five types of speech are not protected by the 1st amendment?
- Child pornography
- Fighting words
- Incitement to riot
What is covered by the 2nd amendment?
Right to keep and bear arms
What is covered by the 3rd amendment?
Quartering soldiers in people's houses
What is covered by the 4th amendment?
Protection from unreasonable search and seizure
Define obscenity as it relates to the 1st amendment
- Materials that depict hard sexual acts in a patently offensive manner
- Has no artistic value
- Can only be determined by a judge
Define "fighting words" as it relates to the 1st amendment
- Derogatory and abusive
- In a face to face encounter
- That provoke the other into making an immediate and violent response
Define "seizure" of a person by 4th amendment standards
- A person is seized when his/her liberty is restrained and he/she is brought under the officer's control either through:
- Submission to a show of legal authority OR
- Physical restraint
What is covered by the 5th amendment?
- Protection against being compelled to be a witness against yourself
- Protection from double jeopardy
What types of evidence are protected by the 5th amendment?
Testimonial (what someone says)
Physical (All evidence other than testimony)
Appearance (bodily characteristics such as voice, fingerprints, etc)
What is covered by the 6th amendment?
- Right to a speedy and public trial by jury
- Right to the assistance of counsel
- Right to obtain witnesses on your behalf
What is covered by the 7th amendment?
Something about $20
What is covered by the 8th amendment?
No excessive bail, no excessive fines, no cruel & unusual punishment
What is covered by the 9th amendment?
The enumeration in the constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people
What is covered by the 10th amendment?
Powers not delegated to the federal government by the constitution are reserved for the states
What is covered by the 14th amendment?
(For the purposes of this class)
Due process clause
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview