Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Characteristics of Amish people?
- - Plain dress and low use of technology-
- Talk to both husband and wife - bc equal in marriage, hwr unequal in authority -
- Need church permission to be hospitalized bc the community will come together to help pay the cost -
- No health insurance bc it is a “wordly product” and may show lack of faith in God - At death women are burried in their bridal dresses.
Ch of Asian Americans?
- o No touching - especially in head that is sacred, may show disrespect
- Women are obedient
- yin (cold) and yang (hot) - blance between pos and neg energy forces
- Lactose intolerance, Thalassemia prone
- Limit eye contact
- lactose intolerant, parasites
Ch of Native Americans?
- Silence = respect
- Present oriented
- No touching of dead body, no eye contact Grandparents = family leaders
- Health Risks : alcohol abuse, DM, tuberculosis, arthritis, lactose intolerance, gallbladder disease.
Ch: White Americans?
- eye contact = trust
- future oriented
End of life characteristics ?
- Christian Science religion = No medical means to prolonge life
- Jewish = no prolonging life after irreversible brain damage
- Muslims, orthodox, jews = against autopsy and cremation ( + mormon and islamic)
- Muslims = no organ donation
- Amish = no heart transplant
- Hispanic = no pg woman at funeral, dying at home = bad luck ( bl for asian too)
- AA - No organ and blood donation ( asian too)- Islam = may want to choose to face Meca ( West or south west in the US) / head elevated above body
Ch of Judaism?
- Kosher diet: no diary meat combination, only fish that have scales and fins ( queue - comme pied canard) are allowed. Meat that are allowed are animal vegetable eaters, cloven-hoofed ( cattles, deer, goats, sheep and ritually slaughtered ( killed during a ritual), no shell fish
- Young kippur = 24 hr fasting
- Passover = unleavened bread is eaten
- Prolongation of life is important, pt on life support must remain on LS
- Dying person cannot be left alone - rabbies presence is desired
- No autopsy or cremation
Categories of CAM?
- - Whole medical systems-
- Mind body medicine-
- Biologically based practice-
- Manipulative and body based practice-
- Energy medicine
Low risk therapies are?
- - have no adverse effects-
- non invasive-
- can be used by nurse who has training and experience