HEATING OIL AND ITS PROPERTIES
* 65% of petroleum processed is used for transportation.
* 9% (only) is used for heating and electric generation.
* most oil heated homes use #2 heating oil.
* 1/8" of soot in oil burner is too much.
* some are heated by kerosene or #1.
* heating oil, natural gas, propane and coal are fossil fuels.
* fossil fuels are made from prehistoric plants and animals that form fossils. we also call them hydrocarbons.
* carbon is a solid and if not totally burned becomes smoke and soot.
* bonded together hydro carbons can be a gas like propane, liquid like heating oil, or a solid like candle was.
* hydrocarbon gases contain more hydrogen.
* hydrocarbon liquids and solids contain more carbon.
* the buried petroleum comes in two forms crude oil and wet gas.
* they are lighter than water and are forced upward from where they were formed.