The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
RF krater by Niobid Painter: Apollo and Artemis killing the children of Niobe, c.460
KRATERS FOR MIXING WINE AT SYMPOSIA
- The Niobids are punished for their mother’s
- hubris. She had lots of children, remember, but Apollo and Artemis’ mother (Leto) only had the two.
- Scenes that could never be shown on stage
- (also the Agamemnon one)
Only from messenger speeches
- Horrible retribution on tyrants and criminals by enforcers of justice
- The pots held the themes in people’s minds
- longer than a play which does not last.
- Riace bronzes
- Classical Style
- NB - ostentatious dedications fell out of favour c 480BC
- 460 is 20-30 years into Classical period
- Bronze = brown = best representation
- Eyes - glass or semi-precious stones
- Found in sea
- No fancy hair - both it and the beard are more natural = age and wisdom
- Straight shoulders
- Leg moves - he stands on only one
- Hips are now angled
- Head is not forward
- Arms differently posed
- More slender
- One shoulder dipped
- Median line moves - this marks him as High Classical
- Marble Spartan warrior 'Leonidas'
- Funerary stele of youth from Nisyros 470-460 (Istanbul)
- Funerary stele of warriors, from Salamis stele, c. 420
- Round shields
- naked but for cloak
- visible muscles - aristocrat could work out!
- rich = time-rich
- Good = Beautiful
- Lykeas and Chairedemos?
Rulers and Ruled
And when the Persians crushed Miletos the
Greeks began to think of themselves and the non-Greeks as fundamentally
Contrast the noble naked Greek and the
The manly spear; the cowardly bow.
Severe style is only in art. Nothing austere
Characteristics: simplicity, strength, vigour, rationality, intelligence
Conveyed through proportion, sober expressions – fixed gaze showing determination and vigour, averted eyes perhaps showing thought
Remember: anti-elitism, restraint in the
air already – and these qualities had helped the Greeks squash the Persians; these were the qualities they had in spades and the Persians didn’t have at all.
Persai shows the contrast:
wealth, wealth, wealth and no wisdom or self-control
Severe style shunned elitism, and oriental
The Greeks reinvented representations of
themselves – buoyant after their success, their freedom, their characteristics.
Strong self-image now. After Persians left in 479.