- Artemision Zeus
Thunderbolt fits his hand better than Poseidon trident
Classic/Severe style – archaic gods were like kouroi or lunging forward. This stilling of movement suggests huge power. Fearsome?
Cf Diskoboulos by Myron in Atheltic Votives
Though he is probably hurling his weapon, he shows no sign of strain
- Upright, immobile, impassive. He is a god.
- Clarity, balance, restraint
- Balance = his arms are actually lengthened
- to create this, and his posture is also balanced – X-shaped - a relaxed leg and arm oppose one another, as do a flexed leg and arm
Vitality, beauty, sensuality
Symmetry. Ordered. (and yet, Zeus was a womanizer? All those extra children…)
- Probably made in an Athenian workshop.
- His measurements are in fact very exact
- (nipples one Attik foot apart, for example)
Greek thought: order and opposition, μεν and δε, chiastic thought.
- e.g. In
- peace sons bury their fathers
- war fathers bury their sons
- Sculptors: producing perfect bodies, paying
- attention to ideas and fashions