Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Define: Reflex action
An unconscious response to a stimulus
What do reflexes allow?
Rapid responses as the brain is bypassed and conscious decisions aren't made
How can reflex actions be seen as advantageous?
They prevent damage by responding quickly to harmful stimuli
What are many of the reflex actions controlled by?
- The spinal chord
- A reflex ark of 3 neurones is used
What are stimuli detected by?
Groups of cells that are capable of detecting changes in the environment
What are initiated by receptors?
What is the function of a sensory neurone?
To carry impulses initiated by receptors to a co-ordinator
What is the coordinator for an unconscious response?
The spinal chord
What is the co-ordinator for a conscious response?
What is the role of the intermediate neurone?
- To connect the sensory neurone with an appropriate motor neurone
- Found in the co-ordinator
What is the function of the motor neurone?
- To carry the impulse to an effector
- An effector could be a muscle (responding by contracting) or a gland (responding by secreting a chemical)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview