The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Actions to take in the event of a fire?
How to use fire extinguisher
- Confine fire by closing all doors
- Fire extinguisher:
- Pul the pin
- Aim at the base of the fire
- Squeeze in the handle
- Sweep from side to side to coat the area evenly
When to asses a pt on restraint?
- Assess q 30 mins
- Take out safety device at least q 2hrs to permit muscle exercise and promote circulation.
When to never induce vomiting?
- following ingestion of:
- household cleaners
in an unconscious pt
- Negative airflow room
- N-95 masks or personal respiratory device
- Mask place on client when client leaves the room when necessary
- Private room or cohort pt
- Mask in HCP
- Mask put in pt if they are going out
- Scarlet fever
- Wound infections
Use of gloves and gowns when in contact with clients
How is Anthrax transmitted and contracted?
- Transmitted: direct contact w/ bacteria and spores
- Contracted: through GI system, abrasions in the skin or inhalation through the lungs.
- CANNOT: be spread person to person or animal to person
Units of measurements?
1mg in mcg
- 30 ml
- 15 mL or 3 tsp
- 8 oz
- 2 pints or 32 oz
- 1000 mcg
How to convert fareingheit to celcius?
Celcius to Fareighneit?
- -32 and divide by 1.8
- * 1.8 and + 32
Assessing an adult for CPR?
- 1. Assess, she victim shoulder ask if he/she is ok? - look for a pulse before starting chest compression. If there is a pulse continue to give breathm, if no pulse begin with chest compression
- 2. if unconscious, call for help. - if HCP and asphyxial arrest occurs, call after 5 cycles.
- 3. Place victim flat in a supne position on firm flat surface
- 4. 1 rescuer: position on knee, perpendicular to pt's sternum and facing the victim
- 5. 2 person rescuer: 1 - maintains airway open, monitor carotid pulse, perform rescue breathing. 2- performs chest compression
- - Rotate between rescuers q 2mins - apply gloves and faceshields if available.
- 7. Open airway ( head tilt, chin lift) - if neck injury, jaw thrust maneuver
- 8. Look for foreign material in mouth
- 9. asess breathing by listenning for it. - if pt has no trauma and is breathing, logroll him/her to the side. - for non breathing patoent: pinch close nostrils, give 2 breaths at 1 sec/ breath
- w/o chest compression give 10-12 breaths/mins.
- 1. Determine unconciousness
- 2. Activate emergency system
- 3. Begin chest compression
- 4. Open airway
- 5. Deliver rescue breath
compression to ventilation ratio for adults?
- 1.5-2 inches deep
- 100 times/ min
When to call emergency response when performing CPR in a child?
after 5 cycles - 2 mins of cpr.
how to appraoch infant with cpr
1st deliver 2 effective breaths to the infant initially - 12-20 breaths per minute are then delivered.
C to V ratio
- 1/3-1/2 depth of chest
- 30:2 for a single rescuer, 15:2 for 2 rescuers
Which people is the use of AED contraindicated?
infants - children < 1 yo
Use of pads in AED?
Do not use children pads on adults, but can use adult pads on children
How many breaths to give to an adult per min?
to a child?
to child or infant with advanced airway?
If the client have a spinal anesthesia, how can we elevate the legs?
only elevate legs to be able to place on pillow.
What is paralytic ileus? SS?
1. failure of appropriate forward mvt of bowel contents
- vomiting postop
- abdo distention
- absence of BM
When monitoring a wound for infection, what are we looking for?
- R - redness
- E - erythema
- E- ecchymosis
- D- drainage
- A - approximation or border
When should we withold feeding in NT?
- when residual > 100
- when BS are absent - tell HCP
Position for bolus feeding?
Position for continuous feeding?
How often do you change the feeding container and tubing?
What does constant bubbling in the water seal chamber mean?
air leak in the chest tube system
What to do after med admin in NG tube?
clamp tube for 30-60 min before connecting to suction .
diff between ngtube and gastric tube removal
- 1. take a deep breath and hold
- 2. perform vasalva maneuver/ or take breath and hold
what amount of chest tube drainage is considered excessive?