Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
- very bad or unpleasant
- This coffee has a nasty taste.
BRITISH someone who works in a chemist's shoppreparing and selling medicines
- (of an illness, infection, etc.) to disappear
- Has your rash cleared up yet?
examine /ɪɡˈzæmən/ v.
- to look at someone or something closely, to see if there is anything wrong or to find the cause of a problem
- The doctor examined her but could find nothing wrong.
pulse /pʌls/ n.
- the regular beat of blood as it is sent around the body, which can be felt in different places, especially on the inside part of the wrist; the number of times the blood beats in a minute
- a strong/weak pulse
- The doctor took/felt my pulse.
- an examination of something, especially a medical one to make sure that you are healthy
- a medical/dental/routine/thorough check-up医疗/牙科/常规/彻底检查
tablet /ˈtæblət/ n.=pill
- a small, round, solid piece of medicine that you swallow
- an aspirin tablet
- Take two tablets with water before meals.
liquid medicine that you take for a cough
drugs (in America/Britain)
Americans talk about drugs instead of tablet or pills. In Britain drugs usually mean heroin,cocaine etc. In the United States a chemist's is called a drugstore.
heroin /ˈhɛroʊən/ n.
- a powerful illegal drug made from morphine, that some people take for pleasure and can become addicted to
- a heroin addict
morphine /ˈmɔrfin/ n.
- a powerful drug that is made from opium and used to reduce pain
- Cancer patients are often prescribed increasing doses of morphine.
opium /ˈoʊpiəm/ n.
- a powerful drug made from the juice of a type of poppy (= a kind of flower), used in the past in medicines to reduce pain and help people sleep. Some people take opium illegally for pleasure and can become addicted to it.
- the opium trade鴉片貿易
- opium poppies罌粟
- a wild or garden plant, with a large delicate flower that is usually red, and small black seeds. opium is obtained from one type of poppy
- poppy fields/seeds
prescribe /prɪˈskraɪb/ v.
- to tell someone to take a particular medicine or have a particular treatment; to write a prescription for a particular medicine, etc.開藥方
- Valium is usually prescribed to treat anxiety.
Valium /ˈvæliəm/ n.
a drug used to reduce anxiety
anxiety /æŋˈzaɪət̮i/ n.
- the state of feeling nervous or worried that something bad is going to happen 焦慮
- Waiting for exam results is a time of great anxiety.
dietitian =dietician /ˌdaɪəˈtɪʃn/ n.
a person whose job is to advise people on what kind of food they should eat to keep healthy
a person whose job is to test people's eyes and to recommend and sell glasses眼鏡商；配鏡師
optometrist /ɑpˈtɑmətrɪst/ n.
a person whose job is to examine people's eyes for medical conditions and to find out if they need glasses 驗光師
physical therapist n.
a person whose job is to give patients physical therapy 物理治療師
therapy /ˈθɛrəpi/ n.
- the treatment of a physical problem or an illness
- Most leukemia patients undergo some sort of drug therapy (= treatment using drugs)大多数白血病患者接受某种药物治疗
- to experience something, especially a change or something unpleasant 經歷 /忍受
- My mother underwent major surgery last year.去年經歷了大手術
leukemia /luˈkimiə/ n.
a serious disease in which too many white blood cells are produced, causing weakness and sometimes death 白血病
psychiatrist /saɪˈkaɪətrɪst/ n.
a doctor who studies and treats mental illnesses
chiropodist /kɪˈrɒpədɪst/ n.
a person whose job is the care and treatment of people's feet
paediatrician ˌ/piːdiəˈtrɪʃn/ n.
a doctor who studies and treats the diseases of children
gynaecologist /ɡaɪnəˈkɒlədʒɪst/ n.
a doctor who treats medical conditions anddiseases that affect women and their reproductive organs
reproductive /ˌriːprəˈdʌktɪv/ a.
- relating to the process of having babies or producing young animals or plants生殖的
- reproductive organs生殖器官
rheumatology /ˌruːməˈtɒlədʒi/ n.
the area of medicine that deals with rheumatism.A doctor who works in this area is called arheumatologist.
rheumatism /ˈruməˌtɪzəm/ n.
- a disease that makes the muscles and joints painful, stiff and swollen 風濕病
- She had suffered from rheumatism all her life
- a person who is an expert in a particular area of work or study
- a specialist in Japanese history
- a thing that you can choose to do or have out of two or more possibilities 兩者擇一
- Can you suggest an alternative?
hypnotism /ˈhɪpnəˌtɪzəm/ n.=hypnosis
the practice of hypnotizing a person (= putting them into an unconscious state) 催眠術
reflexology /ˌriflɛkˈsɑlədʒi/ n.
a type of massage in which a person's hands or feet are rubbed and pressed in order to make other parts of their body more healthy or to helpthem to relax（按摩腳部以鬆弛神經的）反射療法
remedy /ˈremədi/ n.
- a cure for pain or a minor illness
- herbal remedies 草藥
aromatherapy /əˌrəʊməˈθerəpi/ n.
a health treatment in which oils with a nice smell are rubbed into your skin to make you feel relaxed. Someone who is trained to do aromatherapy is called an aromatherapist.
homeopathy /ˌhoʊmiˈɑpəθi n.
a system of treating diseases or conditions using very small amounts of the substance that causes the disease or condition類似醫療論
complementary /ˌkɒmplɪˈment(ə)ri/ a.
- things that are complementary combine well together or look attractive together, often because they have different qualities互補的
- Yellow and blue are complementary colors .黃與藍是互補色
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview