Compare/contrast phyletic gradualism, punctuated equilibrium, and punctuated gradualism. Draw a graph depicting change in a character state over time.
- Phyletic gradualism: evolutionary change is gradual and is not necessarily associated with speciation
- graph appears as mostly diagonal w/ slight curves
- Punctuated equilibrium: daughter spp diverges rapidly then continues w/o change
- graph appears as straight vertical line then nearly straight horizontal line then straight vertical line (repeat). 2 lineages a result each time
- Punctuated gradualism: a lineage evolves in rapid spurts from one equilibrium to another, but specialization does not necessarily occur
- graph is similar to phyletic gradualism, but more distinct vertical/horizontal lines