The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is dance?
A fine art that involves a body moving through space and time.
What is a dance style?
Genres of dance ie. Flamenco, Salsa, Ballet, etc.
What are the two main categories of Fine Arts?
Autographic Art and Allographic Art
What is autographic art?
When the work of art is an object that exists in space and transcends time. Includes all visual and literary arts ie. Writing, painting, scupting, etc.
What is allographic art?
When the work of art is a performance that is a moment in time which comes and goes, and must pass through an intermediary which is the performer. Includes music, dance, and drama.
What are the five elements of dance?
Body, space, time, energy, and relationships
- A body and its parts creating still or moving shapes
- Curved, round, twist, straighten, crooked
- Symmetrical or asymmetrical
- Body's relationship to the floor, room, environment, others
- The way the body moves through space
- Motion can be direct or indirect
- High, medium, low
- Body's use of speed, tempo, rhythm, and music
- Body may move in a sustained way or quick way
- The way the body uses its weight
- Movement can flow and be light, or can be heavy, strong, tense, sharp, etc.
- The way in which two or more things are connected to or associated with one another
- Ie. dancer to dancer, dancer to object, etc.
Who is Rudolf von Laban?
He categorized movement into eight Basic Effort Actions.
What are the eight Basic Effort Actions?
- Movements that combine the elements of time, weight, and space. They are:
What are the beneficial effects of a warm-up?
Gradually prepares the body for more demanding activity.
What three parts should a warm-up consist of?
- Joint mobilization
What is one of the most simplest elements of fitness to improve?
Stretching exercises, allowing flexibility/range of motion.
Three key points for effective stretching?
- Perform exercises when the body is warm
- Do not bounce
- Stop if you feel pain
What are the beneficial effects of a cool-down?
To allow the body to recover gradually and return to its resting level.
What two parts should a proper cool-down consist of?
- Post stretch
Why study dance history? (3 points)
- Both useful and inspiring, and a pleasure as well
- Dance goes back to the earliest days of human beings on this earth
- The art will always live on, and past dances have helped shape dance today
The Dance of Life: What is the significance of dancing?
Concrete symbol of rhythm which is a vital part of everything on earth
The Dance of Life: Rhythm...
marks all the physical and spiritual manifestations of life
The Dance of Life: What is dancing the primitive expression of?
Religion and love.
What is a dance form?
The overall structure of a dance piece.
What is composition?
Choreography, making dances
What two things do we use to create a dance?
Compositional forms and manipulations
What are the four compositional forms?
What is manipulation?
Ways in which you can "play" with the performance of created movement phrases.
What are the six manipulations?
What is pilates?
A form of isometric exercise developed and practiced to simultaneously stretch, strengthen, tone, and align the body, while eliminating tension and strain on the joints.
What are the six basic concepts of pilates?
What is yoga?
The physical, mental, and spiritual practices which originated in ancient India with a view to attain a state of permanent peace of mind in order to experience one's true self.
What is hatha yoga?
A kind of yoga focusing on physical and mental strength building exercises and postures.
Ujjayi breathing is a breath technique employed in a variety of Taoist and Yoga practices. In relation to Yoga, it is sometimes called "the ocean breath".
A body position, typically associated with the practice of Yoga, originally identified as a mastery of sitting still.
What is the role of music in dance?
Provide a rhythm, steady beat and melody, create a story with the combination of song and movement.