Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Primary role in emotional reactions such as fear. Part of the Limbic System.
- Connects the right and the left hemisphere. Can reduce epilepsy if cut
- Anterior/Ventral: Toward front of body
- Posterior/Dorsal: Toward back of body
- Superior/Cranial/Cephalic: Upper portion or part
- Inferior/Caudal: Lower portion or part
Anatomical Section Views
- Lateral: External Side
- Sagittal: Internal view sectioned in L/R halves
- Coronal: Section perpendicular to long Axis
- Superior: Top view
- Horizontal: Section between superior and inferior
- Inferior: Bottom view
Lobes: Location and Definiton
- Frontal: Near front; conscious thought; damage can result in mood changes
- Parietal: Upper Back portion; sensory information, object manipulation, visuospatial processing
- Occipital: Back portion; visual processing, sight, lesions produce hallucinations
- Temporal: Mid portion anterior to occipital and caudal to frontal and parietal; sense of smell and sound, face stimuli, scene processing
- The hippocampus is a major component of the brains of humans
- and other mammals. It belongs to the limbic
- system and plays important roles in long-term memory and spatial navigation.
- Like the cerebral cortex, with which it is closely
- associated, it is a paired structure, with mirror-image halves in the
- left and right sides of the brain. In humans and other primates, the
- hippocampus is located inside the medial temporal lobe, beneath the
- cortical surface.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview