What are characteristic symptoms of Kwashiorkor?
1. reduced circulating concentrations of proteins such as albumin (hypoalbuminemia)
2. edema from a DECREASE in oncotic pressure
3. characteristic skin lesions: alternating zones of hyperpigmentation, areas of desquamation, & hypopigmentation (‘flaky paint’)
4. Hair changes: overall loss of color or alternating bands of pale & dark hair (‘flag sign’), straightening, fine texture, & loss of firm attachment to the skull
5. fatty liver, apathy, listlessness, loss of appetite
6. multivitamin deficiency, immune deficiency, secondary infections