The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The persistence of learning over time through the storage and retrieval of information.
- The processing of information into the memory system-for example, by extracting meaning.
- getting info into memory
- The retention of encoded info overtime.
- retaining info for late access
- the process of getting information out of memory storage
- Accessing and recovering stored info
Unconscious encoding of incidental information, such as space, time, and frequency, and of well-learned information, such as word meaning.
- Encoding that requires attention and conscious effort.
Conscious repetition to maintain in memory.
Retention independent of conscious recollection.
- memory aids
- vivid images organizational devices
Memory of facts and experiences that one can consciously know and "declare."
- A clear memory of a emotionally significant moment or event.
- 9/11 emotional, surprising, frightening
Short term memory
- 7 +2 -2
- Limited duration, quickly forgotten unless we attach meaning/rehearse
Long Term memory
- Capacity is limitless
- retrieval is often the problem, not storage
- wear flashbulb memories stored
- alcohol impairs formation of memories
Long term potentiation LTP
- An increase in a cell's firing potential after brief rapid stimulation. Believed to be a neural basis for learning and memory.
- strengthen neural connection = memory