Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What type of bacteria cannot survive in the presence of oxygne?
6 methods to prevent contamination in Aseptic technique.
- Washing Hands
- Disinfecting the bench
- Flaming inoculating loop
- Lift Petri dish lid at an angle
- Flame mouth of tube
- Use Bunsen burner to create updraft/
Give 4 advantages of ATP as an energy source.
- SolubleEasily transported across membranes
- Releases energy in usable amounts, 30.6 kJmol-1
- Only one enzyme needed to release energy.
Define anaerobic respiration.
- Only Glycolysis can take place.
- 2 molecules of ATP from substrate level phosphorylation. Glucose to pyruvic acid.
- Pyruvic acid to Lactate from reduced NAD
- Regenerates NAD allowing glycolysis to continue.
Why is ATP know as the "universal energy currency" ?
It supplies energy to all organisms for all processes
What are the advantages of having many pigments?
- Increases range of wavelengths from which energy can be obtained.
- Meaning greater efficiency of photosynthesis.
How is Resting Potential created?
- Na+ ions are actively pumped out faster than K+ in.
- Membrane also has a higher permeability to K+ than Na+ - so K+ ions diffuse out of the axon.
- Therefore outside of the axon is relatively positive compared to the inside.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview