The nature of biochemical processes
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are exergonic and endergonic chemical reactions?
- Exergonic: (aka catabolic reactions) chemical reactions that release energy eg. cellular respiration
- Endergonic: (aka anabolic reactions) chemical reactions that require energy eg. photosynthesis
What are enzymes?
- Biological catalysts
- Speeds up chemical reactions by lowering the activation energy (energy required for a reaction to occur)
- Not consumed in reaction therefore can be reused
- Highly specific
Define substrate, active site, cofactor and coenzyme
- Substrate: the compound the enzyme acts on
- Active site: the region of an enzyme that the substrate binds to
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview