Most common technique for children. (steal induction)
1 to 3 L/min of O2 and N2O with volatile gradually increased in 0.5% increments.
Initially, mask does not touch face until lid reflex disappears.
Slow inhalational induction.
Single breath induction
- Single VC breath of 8% Sevo
- with 70% N2O.
Occlude circuit and fill with Agent, open APL.
Flavor mask, stickers, or color mask (keep child engaged)
- Child takes a deep breath, blows it out, then holds his/her breath. Place mask, and
- let breath mixture. Hold breath again
- and repeat while keeping mask against child’s face.
could do IM ketamine
IV induction.—Higher metabolic activity vs. immature hepatic function.
- Increased dose of propofol in
- infants and young children due to larger ECW and distribution.