The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is meant by Coordinated School Health Program?
An organized set of policies, procedures, and activities designed to protect, promote, and improve the health and well-being of students and staff, thus improving a student's ability to learn.
What are the 8 basic components of a CSHP?
- 1. Health Education
- 2. PE
- 3. Health Services
- 4. Nutrition Services
- 5. Counseling, Psychological & Social Services
- 6. Healthy School Environment
- 7. Health Promotion for Staff
- 8. Family & Community Involvement
What are the National Health Education Standards?
- 1.Students will comprehend concepts
- related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health
- 2.Students will analyze
- the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology and other factors on
- health behaviors
- 3.Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid information and products and services to enhance health.
- 4. Students will analyze the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology and other factors on health behaviors
- 5. Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid information and products and services to enhance health
- 6.Students will demonstrate
- the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health and to avoid or reduce health risks
- 7. Students will demonstrate the ability to use
- decision-making skills to enhance health.
- 8. Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting skills to enhance health.
- 9.Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and avoid or reduce health risks
- 10.Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health
How do Oregon Health Education Standards compare to the National HE Standards?
Oregon focuses on doing
In class we discussed 5 guidelines for writing student objectives. What are they?
Why are student objectives or learning outcomes important?
Identifies levels of processing for complete learning experiences
What are the major components of a well-constructed lesson?
- learning activities
- Summary, closure
What are the four components of a well-constructed prompt?
- Setting & Role
- Goal or Challenge
- Product, Performance or purpose
How does best practice differ from research-based practice?
- -Research based have been demonstrated to positively affect the health behaviors of youth in case-control studies and is evidence based.
- -Best practices are practices that experience and anecdotal evidence suggest positively affect the health behaviors of youth
What is meant if a program has been delivered with fidelity?
meaning the lesson is dependable
What instructional strategies or characteristics or curricular design have been shown to be most effective in the delivery of health education?
- -lesson that focus on clear health goals
- -research based and theory-driven
- -addresses individual values and group norms
- -Focuses on increasing personal perceptions of risks and harmfulness of engaging in specific health risk behaviors.
- -Addresses social pressures and influences
- -Build personal competence,social competence and self-efficacy by addressing skills.
What is functional knowledge?
- -Age and developmentally appropriate.
- -Uses realistic and accurate data or information.
- -Information or skill is applicable to real life.
What are scare tactics?
- Provides no skills or information about how to avoid, reduce, or eliminate the risk
- Overly simplistic and ineffective strategy
- Often use inaccurate or incomplete information
Why are scare tactics not an effective teaching strategy?
- Incomplete or inaccurate
- Overly simplistic and ineffective
What are the basic guidelines for effective use of role plays?
- Introduce role play and go through the skill steps
- Clearly model the skill
- Provide time for students practice
- Give immediate feedback
- Process at the end of the session to reinforce lessons learned
What guidelines are important to share with students before they engage in a role play?
- -Read the role play carefully
- -Think about how you would rely behave and feel
- -Do your best to stay in the role
- -Try things you may not ordinarily try
- -Do your best to not be disgraced by comments and laughter
How does feed back differ from processing (keep in mind role playing)?
- -Feedback relates to the performance, and gives a positive tone and intent.
- -Processing follows feedback and reinforces the lessons that were learned during the role play.
What are OARs?
The law in Oregon on how to teach about Human Sexuality Education
In what areas of health are there established OARs?
How does abstinence-based sexuality education differ from abstinence only or abstinence only until marriage programs?
- abstinence based is the only one that teaches about other methods of contraption and other medical needs.
- Abstinence only says no sex at all and Abstinence until marriage is just like it sounds.
What guidance does the star of Oregon provide for sexuality education in state supported schools?
What is required by the current OAR regarding sexuality education?
Why is it important establish ground rules that should be used when discussing potentially sensitive health topics?
To create a safe environment where students can learn and feel safe to ask questions
What are the steps to take (protocol) for responding to a difficult question posed by a student in class?
- -Identify the belief
- -Help the class describe the range of beliefs
- -Answer the factual parts of the question
- -Decline to express your own personal belief
- -Refer to family, clergy, and other trusted/loved adults
Why is it important to be prepared to respond to challenging questions?
Because they are gonna happen and if you stall and get nervous it will make the situation worsen.
What are e-cigarettes?
electronic cigarettes that come in different shapes sizes colors flavors that people can smoke liquid nicotine. These can be sold to anyone since there is no age restriction.
How do e-ciggarettes differ from traditional cigarettes?
- they are electric
- fun flavors
- not regulated by the FDA
- liquid vapor
What are the health risks of e-cigarets use?
unknown right now because they haven't been studied but they are just as addictive as regular cigarettes.