Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
9th of AB
- AD 70
- -northern city falls
- -second temple is destroyed and northern city falls
- -jews forbiddin to visit jerusalem
Story of Muhammad traveling to Jerusalem on Baraq before ascending into heaven where he speaks with God directly and receives instructions to give to people
- -dessert tribes
- -overthrew the Umayyah
- -3rd caliphae
- -Umayyad ruler who completed the dome of the rock
- -improved road
- -reforms coinage
- -City built by Hadrian.
- -Renamed Jerusalem after his family name.
- -Not tolerant of Christianity
-mosque built on top of the rock
Translated in Arabic, it means "The Holy". It is one of the names for Jerusalem
-immigration of Jews from diaspora to the land of Israel
-british recognition of a jewish national home in palestine
Revolt of Bar Kokhba (Kosiba)
- -second jewish revolt
- -led by Simon Kosiba
Legal commission giving british rule over Palestine
- -north/south city streets
- -turned Jerusalem into a typical roman city
- -moved capital from rome to constantinople
- -legalizes christianity through edict of milan
-main entrance to jerusalem
Dome of the Rock
- -Where Abraham tried to sacrifice his son.
- -Where Muhammad would make Ascension to heaven then return to Mecca.
tomb of jesus
- -fatamid caliphate dynasty in Egypt.
- -moved capital from bagdad to cairo
- al aqsa mosque.
- -Temple mount, place of the night journey.
British general who brought in troops and took Jerusalem from the Ottomans at the end of WWI
- -oldest gate
- -believed to be where messiah will return
Godfrey of Bouillon
- frankish knight,
- -leader of the first crusade.
- -Siege of JErusalem in 1099.
- -Refused title of King
rebuilt the pantheon. built temple of aphrodite on golgotha. built many things, causing a jewish revolt which was surpressed by the Romans
The eight-day festival commemorating the rededications of the Jerusalem temple after the maccabean revolt against the Syrians.
Is defined as temple mount in arabic. It is the place where Abraham built the alter. It is also the sight where king Solomon built the first temple, eventually destroyed by the Babylonians and rebuilt by Herod.
- -alternative name for the Maccabeans
- -family of Jewish priests that revolted against syria
-greek name of Jerusalem
Hill of Offense
- Southern part of Mount of olives
- -called the Hill of Offense, because of a legend that upon it King Solomon erected altars to the gods of his thousand pagan wives
- -mother of constantine
- -pilgrimage and discovery of the true cross in 324
Church of the Holy Sepulcher
- -In christian quarter
- -jesus was crucified, buried and resurrectd
-south west Jerusalem
- -Emperor of Rome
- -rejected Christianity
- -built Nea church
-Jew historian who described king herods life
- map of Christian Jerusalem during Justinian times;
- -jerusalem is center
- -shows Church of H.S., Damascus gate, Cardo Maximus road, Nea Church
- 1.) slave soldiers who converted to Islam. they
- 2.) eventually became a powerful military caste and even governed Egypt from 1250 to 1517.
- 3.) They destroyed the Crusader kingdoms of Outremer, and saved Syria, Egypt and the holy places of Islam from the Mongols.
Mosque of Omar
-located opposite the southern courtyard of the Holy speulcher
-founder of islam
- -extension of Muslim quarter
- -A few days after the Six-Day War, Israel destroyed the Mughrabi quarter to build the Western Wall Plaza
-where the binding of Isaac took place
- -Temple mount
- -Same as mount moriah
Mount of Olives
The name of the hillside where Jesus and his apostles went to after they celebrated their last Passover meal together
-a leading medieval Jewish scholar,Spanish Sephardic rabbi, philosopher,physician,kabbalist, and biblical commentator. He was raised, studied, and lived for most of his life inGirona, Catalonia.
- -Governor who rebuilds walls of the city, builds on Ezra's reforms,
- -battles social injustice in Jerusalem
Omar, Ummayid caliph
638 AD takes Jerusalem from Byzantine
- a Byzantine church erected by the Byzantine Emperor Justinian
- -Jewish quarter
- 1st document that wanted partition of Palestine and internationalization of Jerusalem.
- -Wanted to divide land between jews and palestinians
direction of muslim prayer
stood at southwest corner of temple mount. built during reconstruction of second temple by Herod the Great.
Salah ad-Din (Saladin)
- -1st sultan of egypt.
- -founded Ayyubid dynasty. Muslim who had control of all the crusader states
- -Hasmonean prince, high priest
- -leader of the Maccabean revolt against the Seleucid dynasty
- -freed jews from Syrians
- -killed by Ptolemy
- -Persian Empire
- -takes Palestine and Jerusalem in 614 from Byzantines
-muslim prayer hall under the al-aqsa mosque under temple mount. Base of southern wall of Temple mount
St. Anne's Church
- -crusader church
- - Built between 1131 and 1138
- -dedicated to parents of St.Mary
- -was not destroyed by saladin but converted to a madrasa or school seminary
-was a Christian church set up on the site of the Dome of the Rock during the crusades
Temple of Jupiter
- Built a Temple of Jupiter in AD 135
Temple of Aphrodite
Sulieman the Magnificent
- -10th sultan of Ottoman empire. during the peak of their power
- -rebuilds walls of Jerusalem
- -gives western wall to jews
- -population tripled during his reign
- -Roman ruler who destroyed Temple and Jerusalem in AD 70
- -Arch of Titus in Rome
- -exile jewish population
- -dynasty of Sunni caliphs that ruled the Muslim empire;
- -building of the Dome of the Rock
- -proclaimed emperor of Rome
- -Titus is his son
- -tax on Jews
Map of Jerusalem Old City
Map of Jerusalem Old City (2)
- -western prayer area on Temple mount
- -only remaining part of the second temple