The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who is the "father" of AT?
What were Gandhi's policies?
- - Non-violence and non-cooperation
- - Against oppressive taxation
- - Salt march
- - SWADESHI
What is Swadeshi?
- - local self-sufficiency
- - home economy
- - local power
- - production by the masses -> production, producers, process
Who is the founder of AT?
Developed ideas from what kind of economics?
What kind of tech is small-scale, inexpensive, labor-intensive, compatible with human needs, and non-violent?
Schumacher's four propsitions
- - Live where you work
- - Cheap manufacturing
- - Simple production
- - Local materials
Radio invented by Trevor Baylis that promotes health education, agricultural, political, news etc.
BayGen wind-up radio (now Freeplay energy)
What is the plastic doughnut shaped water carrier?
Roundabout thing that pumps water?
What was the downfall of the PlayPumps?
- - lack of infrastructure/maintenance
- - children stopped playing on it
Irradiance vs. Insolation
- - Irradiance: power quantity of solar resource or the amount of solar power measured at given moment in time, instantaneous power
- - Insolation: energy quantity of solar resource, amount of solar power over a period of time
Irradiance is measured by?
What is the solar constant?
Amount of solar radiation in space
How are PV panels rated?
Using 1000 watts/m2 due to amount of energy of one sun or peak sun (solar irradiance)
Concentrating solar problem
- - Find areas of lens and concentrated area (pir2)
- - Divide area of lens by concentrated area
Three factors of food dryers
- - Temperature
- - Air flow
- - Humidity
Factors that affect temperature
- - area of south facing glazing
- - amount of insulation
- - air tightness of dryer box
- - area of vent openings
- - ambient temp
What temperature can water be pasteurized?
Small polycarbonate cylinder that uses soy wax to determine pasteurization?
Uses beeswax and PET bottles to determine pasteurization?
China accounts for ____ of installed solar thermal?
- - 2/3
- - mainly evacuated tube
What is medium temp. solar thermal used for?
domestic water and space heating
What are two freeze protector systems?
- - pressurized glycol
- - drainback
What type of fluid is used in a drain back system?
How is evacuated tube collectors different from flat plate collectors?
Absorber plate is contained inside the glass evacuated tube
What are the two designs for fluid to travel?
- - u-tube
- - tube-in-tube (coaxial)
What is the better choice in cloudy and colder locations? (solar thermal)
Open loop system vs. closed
- - Open: heat transfer medium is potable water supply
- - Closed: uses heat exchanger
What are the three types of utility solar thermal?
- - Stirling engine parabolic dish
- - Parabolic trough
- - Solar power tower
What heat transfer fluid can produced electricity at night?
What is the Suncatcher?
- Stirling engine system, holds world record for most efficiency
- - tracking parabolic mirror, uses hydrogen to move pistons
What is a solar power tower?
- - Uses heliostats to reflect sunlight
- - uses water or salt for heat transfer fluid
What is the PS 10?
- - First commercial solar power tower plant in the world
- - Uses water to produce steam
- - Uses heliostats
- - Abengoa Solar
What are the four stp's?
- - PS 10 (no storage)
- - PS 20 (no storage)
- - Crescent dunes (salt, storage)
- - Ivanpah (no storage)
What is a parabolic trough solar thermal?
- - Parabolic shaped mirrors to concentrate sun on central pipe HTF
- - capacity increases with thermal storage
What are the three parabolic trough solar thermal plants?
- - Nevada Solar one
- - Solana project
- - Mojave project