Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
E.g. We must not respond to the crisis with knee-jerk reaction
1. the long and short of it
Eg.The long and the sort of it is that...
2. to cut a long story short
Eg. To cut a long story short, the fact is that...
不可以叫自己做Mr TL Yang, 只寫TL Yang 就可以
do the trick
Eg The doctor's medicine will do the trick for the patient.
a friend in need is a friend indeed
I have enough (impolite)
cut both ways
e.g. the new drugs is very good for this illness. But it tends to make you sleepy. So it cuts both ways
E.g. He took all the credits but I did all the monkey work.
E.g. He is level-headed clerk
1. 要穿一套衣服 (比smart causal 高一級)
out of this world (a)
E.g. Everything about the hotel is out of this world
everyday vs every day
1. Everyday = adj
This is an everyday happening
2. Every day = adv
It happens every day
(ever) since = 從此以后
1. use present perfect tense
E.g. Paul tried and failed to capture the job when it was offered last year and has been unemployed ever since.
E.g. The government has banned tourist from visiting that area ever since a clash broke out between government troops and the rebel forces there
times VS time
- 1. Times (adj) = 時代
- E.g. It was the best times; it was the worst of times. Times Square
- 2. Time (n) = 時間
- E.g. Time can tell
- 1. headquarters
- E.g. The police headquarters is in Wanchai
- 2. crossroads
- E.g. At the next crossroads turn right.
E.g. furniture, luggage, baggage, cattle, equipment
- E.g. She is mean to her little brother
- She is a mean tennis player (出色的)
- She plays a mean game of chess (下棋高手)
- What do you mean?
- I did not mean to hurt you
- My parents never meant me to be a solider (没有期望)
blind alley (n)
E.g. He has been trying to solve his money problem, but he is in a blind alley
- 1. hot air
- E.g. John is talking a lot of hot air. Don't believe it. It is just hot air.
- 2. Hot-headed (a)
- E.g. He is a hot-headed person
- 3. hot-foot (a)
- E.g. He just arrived hot-foot from the airport
- 4. hot bed (n)
- E.g. This area is a hot bed of crime
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview