Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Summarize the person-situation controversy, and explain its importance as a commentary on the trait perspective.
- Traits may be
- enduring but the resulting behavior in different situations is different. Thus
- traits are not good predictors of individual
- instances of behaviors in particular situations.
- But average behavior
- over many situations is more stable and predictable, thus traits matter.
____(1986, 2001, 2005) believes that personality is the result of an interaction that
takes place between a person and his social context.
The three factors, _____ ______and
_____ are interlocking determinants of each other. Thus, people and their environments interact.
behavior, cognition environment
- Our interpretation of events can influence our
Internal v. External locus of control
Personal control v. Learned helplessness
Optimism v. Pessimism
- we may presume too readily that others are noticing and evaluating us, when fewer
- people notice than we presume
really criticle in the impact of social anziaty
- People attribute their successes to stable personal
- “I performed well because I am smart/talented, etc.”
- People attribute their failures to external causes.
- “I performed poorly because it was an unfair test/referee, etc.”
- Most people see themselves as better than average.
- this is a good healthy bias to help perform well, helps maintain a good self esteem
these biases can help maintain a healthy self-esteem, but all things in moderation e.g. "___ ____" may lead to aggression when unrealistically high self esttem meats social rejection
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview