Micro Bio Test 5 WMU
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The skin is the ______ organ of the body
the skin it the largest _____ against infection
healthy skin is rarely infected...
from the outside
Direct infections of the skin are ______ infections
Secondary skin infections
infection fallowing the primary skin infection
- Stratified squamous epithelium
- outermost layer: living cells push out and die (keratinized)
- acidic pH of 4-6
how often to we get a new layer of skin tissue
functional layer, containing capillaries
skin is antimicrobial why?
because we sweat which is salty and many microbes don't like salt
- Inner most layer of the skin
- nerves,hair follicles, sweat glands, fat tissue
How does the skin control body temp?
the skin can… Physiology
- control body fluid balance
- synthesis vitamin D (exposure to sunlight)
- sense's environment
- part of immune system that produce cytokines, lymphocytes, and macrophages (sub layer)
The skin flora is present where?
epidermis (2-3 outer most layers) and hair shafts
normal flora _____ on skin. depending on what?
- 100/CM2 in cool dry areas to
- 1,000,000/CM2 in warm moist areas
Bacteria cannot penetrate skin unless….
the skin is damaged
3 most common groups of normal skin flora
- 1. diptheroids: G(+) rods
- 2. staphylococci: coagulase negative
- 3. Fungi: yeast on epi
Healthy epithelium is almost…..
- impervious to bacteria
- -not allowing through
salty, dry, acidic
risk factors for infection on the skin
moisture, diabetes, cracks…
bacterial skin infections are usually caused but ________ or __________
- Staphylococcus aureus
- streptococcus pyogenes
bacterial skin infections are classified
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview