The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Facial Feedback Effect
Then tendency of facial muscle to trigger corresponding feeling, such as fear, anger, or happiness
- Psychological response
- -Psychical Arousal
- -Conscious Experience
10 Basic Emotions (first five)
Joy :D, Interest B), Excitement >o<, Surprise O.O, Contempt :|
10 Basic Emotions (last five)
- Sadness :"(
- Anger >:(
- Fear D:
- Shame -.-
- Guild :s
Emotions and the Brain
Specific emotions are associated w/different patterns of brain activity
Limbic system (AMYGDALA)
Increased activity associated with fear and anxiety (gate way connect to frontal lobes)
:(Right frontal lobe
Negative emotions :(
:)Left frontal lobe
Do the polygraph test detect lies?
What does the polygraph test detect?
- The polygraph measures physiological changes
- such as blood pressure, heart rate, respiration, perspirations
Why doesnt the polygraph detect lies?
- Because we cannot distinguish between emotions or truth vs. based on physiology
- Anxiety irritation and guild All produce arousal.
- The test not accurate 30% of the time
- Nonverbal communication : body language, tone of voice, facial expression
- Cultural differences : meaning of the hand gestures varies by culture, facial expressions are the same everywhere
Effects of Facial Expression
Expressions influence our feeling/emotions.
Facial feedback effect (notes)
- Facial muscles send signals to limbic system and autonomic nervous system
- Imitating others facial expressions increases EMPATHY
Guilty Knowledge test
- Assesses a suspect's physiological responses to crime scene details know only to the police and the guilty person
- EX if a camera and computer had been stolen react strongly to the brand names of the stolen items.
- Given enough such specific probes, an innocent person will seldom be wrongly accused
- Mobilizes your body for action
- It triggers your adrenal glands to release the stress hormones epinephrine(adrenaline) and nor-epinephrine (no-adrenaline)
- To provide energy, your liver pours extra sugar into your bloodstream.
- gradually calms your body as stress hormones slowly leave your blood stream