Exam 3 p3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is stress?
A mental and physical process of DEALing with events tat are threating or challenging
Stressors (events that cause stress)
- Life changes
- Daily Hassles
Stress Response (Reactions)
- Bad behaviors
- health compromise
- acute stress (FIGHT OR FLIGHT) : can be helpful/prolonged effect can be harmed
- Limbic system activates SNS ->epinephrine (causes rapid and intense bodily changes)
- Immune system compromised (lymphocytes)
- Reduced by stress
- Act to FIGHT bacteria, viruses, cancer cells.
The study of psychological, neural, and endocrine processes together affect the immune system and resulting health.
Competitive, hard-driving, impatient, verbally aggressive, and anger-prone people.
Easy going, relaxed
- The idea that releasing aggressive energy (through action or fantasy ex letters) relieves aggressive urge.
- temp calming may ESCALATE AGGRESSION habit forming negative reinforcement
Internal locus of control
You control your own fate
External locus of control
The perception that chance or outside forces beyond your personal control determine your fate.
Feel-good, do good phenomenon
People's tendency to be helpful when already in a good mood.
- Our tendency to form judgments (of sounds, lights of income) relative to a neutral level defined by our prior experience.
- Tendency to judge events based on our most recent experience
- The perception that one is worse off relative to those with whom one compares oneself
- aka our happiness is relative to our comparisons with others
- sense that we are worse off than others.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview