The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is terrorism
the calculated use of unlawful violence to inculcate fear
when was the first time that the use of violence and fear to to attain political goals was labeled as terrorism?
the french revolution
what 4 ideologies motivate terrorist?
- nationalist separatist
- special interest
what are the 3 basic categories that terrorist will fall under?
- state directed
- state supported
- non-state supported
what are the 3 long term goals of terrorism?
what are some immediate goals of terrorism?
- obtain worldwide recognition
- cause overreaction of government
- free prisoners
- satisfy vengeance
`what are the 3 different cells within a terrorist group
- operation cell
what are the three support mechanisms for terrorist?
- state direct
- state supported
- non-state supported
what is the average number of people in a terrorist cell?
what do terrorist seek success through?
through enemy's moral ability to resists.
4 terrorist attack characteristics
- relatively simple
- hit and run
- designed for impact
what are the seven proactive steps in defending terrorism?
- threat analysis
- critical and vulnerability assesment
- operations security
- personnel security
- physical security
- awareness education and training
- planning crisis managment
what are the hree main types of guards?
- exterior guard (established in combat)
- ships detachment (guard nuclear, ceremonial duties, vessel security)
- interior guard (preserve order protect property)
what is the purpose of the interior guard?
- preserve order
- protect property
- enforce regulations
who has authority to establish a guard?
what is the OOD's responsibilities?
- directly responsible to the CO
- carry out all CO's orders
what does the OOD normally inspect?
- mess hall
- bachelor enlisted quarters
- motor pool
- classified material vault
what are the commander of the guards responsibility?
- ensuring the proper training, discipline, and performance or the guard
- conducting guard school
- inspecting all guard personnel while on post and before posting
- ensuring guard personnel are properly armed and equipped for their duty
- keeping the OOD and the sergeant of the guard properly informed
- detailing marines for morning and evening colors
what are the responsibilities of the sergeant of the guard?
- assisting the commander of the guard. when no commander of the guard is assigned, assume both duties
- ensuring proper accoutnibility of all guard equipment
- assigning sentires to reliefs and preparing guard rosters
- reporting all actions the sentries take
- inspect sentries
what are the corporal of the guards duties?
in charge of one relief of the guard
what does the sentry do?
- keep watch
- maintain order
- protect persons on property
what is the supernumerary?
a person who can stand all posts in case of illness or injury
what are the levels of the force continuum
- verbal commands
- contact controls
- compliance techniques
- defensive tactics
- deadly force
what are the three security of information?
- top secret
what is personal information?
information about an individual that identifies, relates, or is unique to, or describes him or her (ssn, age, rank, marriage status)
what is personal identifiable information?
any info that can be used to distinguish or trace an individuals identity
what is derivative classification authority?
if you create something with confidential info then you must make your info confidential at the right level
what is a top secret clearence based on?
single scoop background investigation
what is a secret clearence based on?
on a favorable national agency check
what is a confidential clearence based on?
on a favorable favorable national agency check
what is the standard letter format compared to on the civilian side?
what are the margin settings of a standard letter?
- 1 inch on bottom and sides
- letterhead starts fourth line from the top
what is the style of type for the standard letter?
- left justified (no indenting except for the first line of every sub paragraph and every line of long quotations)
- size 10-12 courier new
what does the letterhead do?
identifies the unit that originates correspondence
what do you write on the signature block when the xo is taking the CO place?
Acting. put directly beneath his name
what is written when someone else is signing for the CO?
where is the subject line on the second page?
- sixth line
- 1 inch left right margins with .5 inch bottom margin
when do you use a buisness letter?
when corresponding with people outside the DOD
what can a directive be used for?
- establish or revise policy
- delegate authority
- modifies, changes, or cancels another directive
what serves as the cmcs personal communication to all marines
what is the definition of war?
a violent clash of interest between or among organized groups characterized be the use of military force.
what are the battle field dynamics?
- the human dimension violence and danger
- physical, moral, and mental forces
what are the 3 levels of war from highest to lowest
what is the law of war
that part of war that regulates the conduct of armed hostiles
what are some principles of the law of war?
- military necessity
- avoid unnecessary suffering
who is not protected under the law of war?
- terrorist if not considered protected combatant
what are the 5s's and a t?
- safe guard
what are protected places of the battle field?
what is considered small arms?
40mm or below
what pub is the rules of engagments
joint pub 1-02
who approves roes?
what are the leadership traits?
- be technically and tactically profiecient
- know yourself and seek self improvement
- know your marines and look out for their welfare
- keep your marines informed
- set the example
- ensure the task is understood, supervised, and accomplished
- train your marines as a team
- make sound and timely decisions
- develop a sense of responsibility in your subordinantes
- employ your unit in acordance with its capabilities
- seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions
horizontal themes of officership?
- A MAN OR WOMAN OF EXEMPLARY character
- devoted to leading marines 24/7
- decides, communicates, and acts
- mentally and physically tough