The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Action of Somatropin
- tgts muscle & bone
- stim increase in cell size & #
- brks down adipose
Adverse effects of Somatropin.
- HYPERGLYCEMIA/insulin resistance
- joint pain/muscle aches
- rapid initial gain, then slows
- early- edema in hands/feet
- initial-H/A & HTN, then resolves
What should you monitor with Somatropin?
- changes in gait
- knee and hip pain
- (could mean avascular necrosis)
Uses of Ocreotide.
- overproduction of GH
- decreases GI secretions & abdominal bleeding
Adverse effects of Ocreotide.
- GI systems
- increased LFTs
- immediate yellowing of skin & sclera
- RUQ pain
Teaching points for Ocreotide.
- Take b/w meals & HS
- rotate injection sites
- reconstitute gently
- do not shake
- bring to rm temp B4 injection
- (monitor vitamin B-12, EKG, BGL, hepatic & renal)
Contraindications for Ocreotide.
- renal impairment or failure
- liver & heart disease
Indications for Desmopressin.
- neurogenic DI (decreased ADH)
- nocturnal enuresis
- controls polyuria & polydipsia
Adverse effects of Desmopressin.
- Water intox
- nasal congestion/rhinitis
- anaphylaxis (IV)
- *hypotension or HTN
Drug interactions with Desmopressin.
- increased axn with NSAIDS
- decreased axn with heparin, epi, alcohol
How to treat an OD of Desmopressin?
Contraindications of Desmopressin.
- nephrogenic DI
- can worsen renal impairment (fluid)
- caution - CAD, HTN, risk for hyponatremia or thrombi