The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Diabetes is a major cause of what 2 crisis'?
- personal crisis for people living with the disease, and for their family.
- financial crisis for our healthcare system
describe the 2 economic costs of diabetes.
- Direct costs: associated with health care paid for by public or private health insurances or by individuals and their family
- Indirect costs: non-health care costs that impact the economy and individuals when productivity is loss due to sickness, disability of premature death
what does direct costs in diabetes include?
- direct hospitalization costs (amputation, dialysis etc.)
- general practitioner costs and specialist costs
- diabetes mediation cost
what is the largest cost for mortality?
what are some examples of indirect costs in diabetes?
- Mortality costs:
- lost production
- premature death as a result of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Long-term disability costs:
- lost production
- reduced productivity
- time away from work
what was the economic burden of diabetes in Canada in 2010?
The direct costs of diabetes now accounts for ___% of public health care spending in Canada.
The estimated costs of diabetes likely underestimates the true burden because it omits tangibles such as? (3)
- pain and suffering
- care provided by non-paid care givers
- several areas of health care spending (diabetics use more dental and optometry)
today approximately how many Canadians have diabetes and how many will develop complications?
- approximately 2 million Canadians have diabetes
- 40% will develop complications (4 of 10 people)
what are the 2 main categories of complications associated with diabetes?
- Cardiovascular diseases
- kidney disease
For future directions, we can effectively target high-risk populations such as? (3)
- aging population
- immigration from high risk populations
- growth in aboriginal populations
For future directions, we can act on modifiable risk factors such as? (3)
- physical inactivity
- calorie dense/high-fat diet
what is the defining characteristic of diabetes mellitus?