The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the purpose of Lysine Decarboxylase test?
To see if an organism is capable of breaking down lysine into cadaverine using an enzyme, lysine decarboxylase
If lysine decarboxylase is present what color does the tt turn? what is released?
The entire tube will turn purple and it releases CO2
What test is this? How would you record results?
- This is a lysine decarboxylase test
- TT on the left is positive for glucose fermentation and negative for decarboxylase
- TT on the right is positive for glucose fermentation and decarboxylase
How to tell if a organism produces decarboxylase?
Bromocresol + decarboxylase = Purple(+)
Decarboxylation results in
- Purple media
- Alkaline environments
Ornithine Decarboxylase breaks down ornithine into ___
Based on test results, what signs show an organism is positive for ODC
- Results are pink/purple
- Which means in alkaline
2 ways to transfer energy
- Reduction - The gain of electron(s)
- Oxidation - The loss of electron(s)
What is the toxic build of from the ETC?
Nitrate test, test for ____
- Nitrate reduction
- N03- --> NO2- --> N2O --> N2
When doing a Nitrate test, how can you tell Nitrate was reduced?
- Add 5 drops of reagent A then Nitrate reagent B
- If it turns red, then you know that Nitrate (NO3) was reduce to Nitrite (NO2)
- If no red occurs you add zinc powder, if it turns red then its negative for NO3 reduction (Zn + NO3 = red)
- If no color develops are Zn was added then Nitrate was reduce to further nitrogen cmpd
Name the 4 categories of aerotolerance
- Obligate aerobe
- Obligate anaerobe
- Facultative anaerobes.
Grow best in the presence of low 
In tt will grow right below the top layer
Must grown in the presence of O2
O2 is not required, but grows best in the presence of O2
Will grown throughout the entire tt
- Need to grow in the presence of NO O2O2 is toxic to these type of organisms