Water potential: what it is, the factors that influence it, and how they influence it.
Water Potential is a property of water at a specific location within or around a plant which when compared with the water potential of water at another location---> direction the net movement of water will be.
Factors that influence it
- -The concentration of solutes in the water and by pressure affecting the water.
- (water molecules --> simple diffusion)- higher concentration = higher water potential (vice versa)
- (solutes molecules--> osmisis)
- higher concentration= lower water potential (vice versa)
that acts on the water can be either positive or negative. --> Bulk flow
- higher pressure= higher water potential
- lower pressure= lower water potential
-In tall plants, gravity
affects the movement of water up the stem beccause a column of water has weight ---> Bulk flow affect in tall plant
greater pull of gravity= Lower water potential at bottom of plant, higher at top (visa versa)
-In the ground the attraction of water molecule for soil patricles (matrix effects
) can affect the plant's ability to get water.
Increase matrix effects=lower water potential (visa versa)