Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Someone who coordinates and oversees the work of other people so that organizational goals can be accomplished.
What are the 4 functions of MG?
- Planning, Organizing, Leading, Controlling
What is the multiplier effect?
- -An efficient MG has a cascading effect on the orgz-->start w/ MG, 2 ppl below him, then ppl below them, etc.
- -An effective leader creates exponential value for the organization through his or her influence on the strategy, people and processes in the organization.
Efficiency vs. Effectiveness
- Efficiency-doing things right
- -Getting the most output for the least inputs
- -Example-$1.85/automated phone call vs. $4.50/live person-->low resource usage
- Effectiveness-doing the right things
- -Attaining orgz goals
MG strives for LOW RESOURCE WASTE (high efficiency) and HIGH GOAL ATTAINMENT (high effectiveness)
What are Mintzberg's 3 Managerial Roles?
What is the Interpersonal MG Role and its subcategories?
-Dealing w/ people outside of the orgz
- -1) Figurehead: performing symbolic task w/in orgz
- -2) Leadership: responsible for action of subordinates, motivator
- -3) Liaison: working in btw/connection btw ppl outside of orgz (student-->Jones-->PGA)
Informational MG Role and 3 Subcategories
-Receiving and communicating information
- -1) Monitor: upper MG searches business environment for any trends or advantages (valuable information) that could help D-M
- -2) Disseminator: disperse valuable information to other ppl in orgz
- -3) Spokesperson: answer tough ?'s, diplomat, face of the orgz and communicates w/ the media
Decisional MG Role and 4 Subcategories
Use the information from the monitoring role and make decisions
- -1) Entrepreneurial: initiate innovation w/in orgz
- -2) Resource Allocator: set priorities on the use of resources
- -3) Negotiator: work w/ pp inside and outside of orgz-->outsource
- -4) Disturbance Handler: deals w/ "fires" at work
What is Planning?
- -Defining orgz goals, establishing strategy to obtain those goals, and developing plans to coordinate activities
- -Where do I want to go in the future???
Informal Planning vs. Formal Planning
- Informal: not written down, short-term focus
- -Specific to an orgz unit
- Formal: written, specific, and long-term focus
- -Shared goals for the orgz
What is a mission statement?
- -Statement of purpose
- -Firm's reason for being in business
- -Describes the scope of products and services that it delivers to the customer market, levels of profitability, how to treat EE or customers, image base portrayed to customer
- -Comes first
What is a vision statement?
- -What the company strives to become in the long term
- -Describes the way the orgz wants to be perceived in the future and the actions needed to get there
- -Comes 2nd-->is flexible and can change depending on environment
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview