Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Conspicuously jointed stems and rough texture
- Small, scalelike leaves are whorled at the nodes
- Branches arise laterally at the nodes and alternate with leaves
- Internodes are ribbed and ribs are tough and strengthened with siliceous deposits in the epidermal cells
- Roots orginate at the nodes of the rhizomes
- Aerial stems from underground rhizomes
- Carinal canals are located in aerial stems
- Has elaters that coil when moist and uncoil when dry (different from Marchantia elaters); elongated cells with helically arranged wall thickenings
moist or damp places, by streams, and along edges of woods
Sporangia are born on sporangiophores, which are clustered into strobili (cones) at the apex of the stem
Gametophytes: green and free-living; can be bisexual or male; archegonia develop before antherida
How can horsetails be distinguished?
- they have jointed stems and rough texture
- small, scalelike leaves are whorled at the nodes
internodes are ribbed adn ribs are tough and strengthened with siliceous deposits in the epidermal cells
What is hte method of reproduction?
sporangia borne on sporangiophores which are clustered into strobili at the apex of the stem
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview