BIO LAB FINAL
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Bacteria are too small to separate...
indirect separation it used by what...
number of colony/ (dilution X amount plated)
Effect go pH equation
pH can lead to..
pH organisms. 3
- Acidophiles: lower than 5.5
- Nuetrolphiles: 5.5-8.5
- Alkaliphiles: greater than 8.5
Importance of osmotic pressure is...
maintain equilibrium.. not too much water going in or out
water movement from where its concentration is high to where it is low
osmotic pressure organisms 3
- hyposmotic: h20 move into cell
- hyperosmotic: h20 moves out of cell
- isosmotin: h20 moves in both directions
Countable plate for CFU
Salt osmo pressure bacteria 3
- halophilies: 3% high NaCl
- Extreme halophiles: 15-25% NaCl
- Osmotolerant: grow on range
temperature bacteria 5
- psychrophiles: <20C
- Psychotrophs: 0-30C
- mesophiles: 15-45C
- thermophiles: >40C
- Extreme thermophiles: 65-110C
UV light def
type of electromagnetic energy
what type of UV light is most harmful
UV causes new _____ to be formed in bacteria DNA. Most common one.
- Pyrimidine dimers
- thymine dumers
Phenylethyl Alcohol Agar (PEA) is what type of medium and isolates what bacteria
- undefined and selective (inhibits growth of gram negative)
- staphylococci, streptococcie, enterococci
Mannitol Salt Agar (MSA) is what type of medium and isolates what bacteria
- Selective and differential. Only G + can grow.
- differentiates between staphylococcus species
on the MSB (mannitol salt Agar) what does yellow with halo, pink and no growth mean.
- Y: positive mannitol salt fermentation
- P;no fermentation
- NG: probably gram negative
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview