Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
EX: It makes you wonder how such an uninhibited performer can be so shy about showing off her new stuff.
EX: Men are more inhibited about touching each other than women.
- 1 not embarrassed about showing or saying how you feel
- 2 too embarrassed or not confident enough to do something
indispensable (to life)
EX: International cooperation is indispensable to resolving the problem of the drug trade.
- difficult or impossible to exist without or to do something without
- (жизненно) необходимый
perspicacious (wit, stare)
- able to judge quickly and correctly what people and situations are really like
- проницательный (ум, взгляд)
to eradicate sth from sth
EX: Inflation will never be completely eradicated from the economy.
to get rid of something completely, especially something bad
be lavish with sth (his praise)
- something that is lavish exists, is spent, or is given in a very large amount, especially if it costs a lot of money
EX: Employees were paid late due to an oversight in the accounting department.
- (count) something that you do not notice or think of that causes problems later
- an omission or mistake, недосмотр, оплошность, упущение
verbal trickery; the use of clever, unfair, or dishonest methods to trick people, especially in legal matters
someone who is diligent works very hard and very carefully
to get/ have/ extract/ remove a S in / out of one's finger
to moult (Am - molt)
to shed (feathers, hair (for a cat), skin, or cuticle)
- if an animal or bird moults, it loses its outer layer of skin, fur, feathers etc so that a new layer can replace it
- линять, сбрасывать и т.д.
- to turn or cause to turn aside, usually sharply or suddenly, from a course
- (transitive) to avoid (a person or event)
- отклоняться от пути, отклонение
EX: She looked with distaste at the man's clothes.
repugnance (much stronger)
- a feeling of dislike for someone or something that you do not approve of
- a strong feeling of disliking someone or something that you think is extremely unpleasant or offensive
EX: He writes about living in a greedy and superficial society.
We talked about superficial topics like sport and the weather.
- a superficial person does not think about serious or important things
- not important or not having a serious effect
to drone on
- to utter (words) in a monotonous tone, esp to talk without stopping
- a monotonous low dull sound
- pretentious, showy, or vulgar display
- показуха, хвастовство
- of, relating to, or resembling a tree
- living in or among trees
- древесный, похожий на дерево
process of elimination
EX: The President's political adviser later retracted this statement.
to say that something that you previously said or wrote is not true