Component-based Programming with .NET Final Exam
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- everything that must be exposed by a WCF service
- explains how the service may be accessed by the client
3 elements needed to define an endpoint
Endpoint element - address
a full network address where the service is being hosted
Endpoint element - binding
a description of the communication protocol the client is expected to use to communicate with the service
Endpoint element - contract
- a description of the semantics required to exchange messages with the service
- and interface with method prototypes
object that implements a service contract vs. one that defines a data contract
- implementing a service contract is hosted by the service and never by the client.
- defining data contracts are serialized by the service and deserialized by the client so the client has a local copy of the object.
How can an interface definition be transformed into a WCF service contract?
An interface can be decorated with the [ServiceContract] attribute and its methods decorated with the [OperationContract] attribute.
How can a data class definition be transformed into a WCF data contract?
a data class can be decorated with the [DataContract] attribute and its member variables decorated with the [DataMember] attribute.
- suitable for cross-platform communication
- .NET client consumes a Web Service
- uses XML-based messaging (not efficient)
- only suitable for communication between .NET clients and services.
- binary format (efficient)
built-in binding only works for pure .NET solutions running on a single computer
3 instance context modes in WCF
new object is activated to service each method call
new object is activated to service each client session
How can the programmer assign a particular instance context mode for a service object?
- decorating a class with with variations of the [ServiceBehaviour] attribute.
- e.g. [ServiceBehaviour(InstanceContextMode = InstanceContextMode.PerCall)]
2 ways a WCF client project in VS can obtain metadata about a WCF service contracts
- 1. adding a reference to a custom library containing the required service and data contracts.
- 2. adding a service reference to the specific service as long as the service is running at the time and the service supports MEX
a proxy class will be generated in the client project which hides any WCF-specific code.
a service contract that is implemented by a client of a WCF service and used by the service to update the client whenever a significant event has occurred in the service object.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview