US History Constitution
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
What is the first Amendment?
1. Freedom of Speech
2. Freedom of the Press
3. Freedom of Religion
4. Freedom of Assembly- allow meeting of group for a common cause
5. Freedom of Petition-Petition- a legal document stating an idea or a desire for change that is signed by an amount of people
What is the second amendment?
The right to own arms, right to bear arms
What is the fourth Amendment?
1. Prohibits Unreasonable search and Seizure- you and your property from this
2. Requires Warrants from court-probable cause- given from the judge, doesn’t need to be at court
What is the fifth Amendment?
- 1. Indictment by grand jury-capital crime
- Indictment- when the court decides if there is enough evidence to bring you to trial
Capital Crime- A felony that may result in the death penalty
2. No double jeopardy- cannot be charged of the same crime twice if you are found innocent of the crime
3. Can’t testify against yourself- as soon as you answer a question you lose all rights to not answer questions
4. Eminent Domain-Ownership of property, land Must be for public use Must be fairly compensated
What is an indictment?
when the court decides if there is enough evidence to bring you to trial
What is double jeopardy?
cannot be charged of the same crime twice if you are found innocent of the crime
What is the eighth amendment?
1. No excessive bails or fines
- 2. No cruel or unusual punishment
- a. The firing squad
- b. Lethal injection-most often form used c. Electric chair
- d. Hanging-used by Nebraska and Kansas
- e. Only one time to execute the person
What are the main ideas of communism (marxism)?
1. Everyone is equal
2. The community should own all land and resources
3. No one should have more than they need. No one should want anything that is necessary
4. Workers must unite to force owners to share the wealth
5. Workers must be willing to revolt
6. Poverty and crime will disappear if communism is followed
What are the Ideas of Smith?
- 1. Law of Supply and Demand a. Scarce goods with high demand cause high prices
- b. Plentiful goods with low demand cause low prices
- 2. Law of Competition a. Business reduces prices or improves quality to get people to buy goods
- b. Interference with two laws leads to disaster
What is eminent domain?
Ownership of property, land
Must be for public use '
Must be fairly compensated
What is a subpoena?
A legal document that orders you to appear in court to testify, has to specifically be given to you
What is industrial revolution?
change from making things by hand to machine
Why did the industrial revolution begin in England?
a. Good ports and colonies to sell to
b. Large supplies of iron and coal
What are the 5 factors of production?
2. Labor- workers
3. Capital (money)- spend money to make money
4. Management-need people to run the company for you, tell the workers what to do
5. Government-need laws to control business
What was the Factory System?
1. People went to work
2. Make goods cheaper and faster
- 3. Greater need for workers
- a. Women and children used
- b. Factory towns created
- 4. Mass Production
- a. Same goods in large amounts- all identical
- b.Used standard parts-interchangeable
What is mass production?
Same goods in large amounts- all identical
Used standard parts-interchangeable
What are the 3 economic groups?
Wealthy business owners- 1%
Middle class- most of the people
Working class (poor)- Blue collar
What are the problems of workers?
1. Poor Housing and wages
2. High prices
3. All family members worked
4. Long hours- 12 to 19 hours, 6 days a week
5. Poor education and health
- 6. Unsafe working conditions
- a. Sweat shops
- b. Lung disease- textile factories
Population goes from rural to urban Emigration to other countries (USA), which races?
Germans, Swedes & British
Eastern Europeans & Jews
What is the American Dream?
Importance of family
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview