Sociology Chap 10
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
the personal traits and social positions that member of a society attach to being female or male
the unequal distribution of wealth, power, and privilege between men and women
a form of social organization in which females dominate males
a form of social organization in which males dominate females
the belief that one sex is innately superior to the other
any category of people distinguished by physical or cultural difference that a society sets apart and subordinates
comments, gestures, or physical contacts of a sexual nature that are deliberate, repeated, and unwelcome
analysis of the interplay of race, class, and gender, often resulting in multiple dimension of disadvantage
attitudes and activities that a culture links to each sex
who treat male and female children differently from birth?
what reinforces gender differences?
the advocacy of social equality for the sexes in opposition to patriarchy and sexism?
Margaret Mead showed what?
how societies define what is feminine and masculine in various ways
how does gender straficition shape the workplace?
- majority of women are now in the paid labor force but 39% hold clerical or service jobs
- comparing full-time U.S. workers, women earn 77% as much as men
- gender difference in earning results from differences in jobs, differences in family responsibilities, and discrimination
how does gender straficiation shape family life?
- most unpaid housework performed by women, whether or not they hold jobs outside the home
- pregnancy and raising small children keep many women out of the labor force at a time when their male peers are making important career gains
how does gender stratification shape education?
- women now earn 59% of all associate and bachelors' degrees
- women make up 47% of law school students and are an increasing share of graduates in professions traditionally dominated by men, including medicine and business administration
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview