Art History Notre Dame
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
1. Located In Chartres, France
2. Cathedral Basilica of Notre dame in Chartres
3. Dedicated to the Virgin Mary
4. 1145 when it was made
5. Western facade and eastern were the only parts saved in the fire 50 years later
6. Produced in two steiges was never entirely finished
7. Spira on the left is from the 16th century
8. 5 different cathedrals have been in that spot
9. In 1194 was broken to a gothic cathedral
10. Building was completed in 26 years
11. In the crypt is the relic which is remanence of a tunic that the Virgin Mary was said to have worn
12. It survived the big fire of 1194
13. Interpreted the fire as the virgin mary burning it down trying to make a bigger and better cathedral
14. Started building in a romanesque style but ended in gothic
15. Eliminated the part of the building that was called the gallery
16. 430 feet long, width is 105/151 feet
17. The nave is 121 feet high, 54 feet wide Covers a total of 117,016 feet of ground
18. 176 stained glass windows
19. 200 statues in 41 scenes
20. in 1939 there was a war going on so they took all of the glass out of the cathedral and put new stained glass
21. The most famous cathedral, been used as films such as The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Why was the term gothic used?
Used the term to criticise the goths bc it was too much
What's a groin vault?
- Cross shaped
Benefits of pointed arch?
Brought the weight downward and allow the building to be hire
Allowed light into Cathedrals, adding stained glass
What did the flying buttress do?
Moved the support outside the building
What is the squirrel cage?
Giant wheel that they used leg power to raise stuff six things
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview