LET Day 3 Review 4/14
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
What happens when the MU Emergency Shutdown switch is pressed?
All engines that are online in the consist are shut down, and remain shut down while the button is depressed.
What happens if a non-complying condition that IS safe to move is found while en route, can it still be used?
- Yes until
- The next calendar day inspection is due, or
- Reaching the next forward point where the necessary repairs can be made
What 3 ways can a locomotive be moved if a non-complying condition is found during a calendar day inspection?
- Lite or dead within a yard not exceeding 10 MPH
- In a locomotive consist not attached to cars
- Isolated or shut down when attached to cars
Who do you report a non-compliant condition to that IS safe to move?
- Train dispatcher or yard master
- Mechanical Desk
- All other crew members
If the last calendar day inspection was made the day before when is the next calendar day inspection required?
By 2359 the day after the inspection was made.
When the locomotive is not being used that is due a calendar day inspection what is required?
- Do not inspect the locomotive
- Attach the appropriate part of the tag to the isolation switch of the locomotive and the other part on the switch of the controlling locomotive
Who is responsible to know if the locomotive has had a calendar day inspection?
What is the purpose of the radiator on an engine?
To reduce the cooling water temperature
Where can fault messages be found on newer engines?
Who do you report a non-compliant locomotive that is not safe to move to?
Train dispatcher or Yardmaster
Is it normal for the Turbo Auxiliary Oil Pump to continue to run after engine has been shut down?
Yes, for 30 to 35 minutes
What is the normal position for EMD fuel sight glasses?
- Return glass is full
- Bypass glass is empty
- If bypass glass if full then fuel filter needs changed
How many times can the crankshaft overpressure device be reset?
What are the 4 systems of the diesel engine?
What are the 2 situations a train should be stopped and the entire train inspected dealing with defect detectors?
- When passing two consecutive defect detectors with no response/results of inspections
- When passing two consecutive defect detectors at less than 8 mph and no defects are indicated by either defect detector
What is the max speed for a locomotive with no event recorder?
When is a flat spot considered a non-complying condition?
- One or more flat spots that are 2 1/2 inches or longer
- Flat spots of at least 2 inches or more that are within 1 1/2 inches of each other
When picking up 30 loads of grain (heavy loads) where should they be placed in train?
What is the max speed for a loaded coal train (unit train)?
What is the max speed for a freight train with 50 loads and 10 empties?
What is the max speed for a single locomotive?
What is the max speed when shoving locomotives and/ or cars?
What does AC stand for?
Alternating Current Traction Motors
What is considered a non-compliant condition for locomotive brake cylinder piston travel?
The amount on the blue card block 10 minus 1 1/2 inches
If additional axles found by defect detector represent Hazmat cars, when does the dispatcher have to provide you with the proper hazmat documentation?
5 miles from the point that the crew was notified by the dispatcher that the extra car is hazmat
When should the locomotive work report be completed?
For each trip or tour of duty
What is required when defect detector indicates "Defector Malfunction"?
Stop and inspect the entire train for defects
What is required when approaching a defect detector?
- Be alert for a greeting from detector
- Communicate with other crew members the results of message
What do you do if an alarm sounds while passing over a defect detector?
Immediately reduce the trains speed to a level that will permit stopping promptlyafter passing over the defect detector
What is required while going over a defect detector?
- Maintain, to the extent possible max speed
- If alarm sounds begin to reduce speed and be prepared to stop after passing over the detector
What to do if someone that is inspecting train notifies you of unsafe conditions and NO specific location is given?
Stop promptly with good train handling and inspect entire train
What to do if someone that is inspecting train notifies you of unsafe conditions and specific location IS given?
- Stop train with good train handling
- Inspect 20 axles on each side of the reported location
How should you report flat spots and to who?
- Record in Locomotive Work Report
- Notify Mechanical Desk, and
- Notify Train Dispatcher or Yardmaster
What is required to adjust a cab seat not equipped with a spring-assisted adjustment mechanism?
Do not adjust by yourself, get help from someone
What is the max number of locomotive that can be operated when cars/shoving platform are attached?
What is the purpose of the overspeed link?
To reset the engines RPM
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview