Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Mechanism of Action
Combines w/ ATP to form thiamine pyrophosphate coenzyme, a necessary component for carbohydrate metabolism. The brain is extremely sensitive to thiamine deficiency.
Coma of unknown origin, delirium tremens, beriberi, Wernicke's encephalopathy.
Hypotension from too rapid of an injection or too high a dose, anxiety, diaphoresis, nausea, vomiting, allergy (rare).
Give thiamine before glucose under all circumstances.
1,000 mg in 10-mL vial (100 mg/mL).
Dosage and administration
- Adult: 100 mg slow IV or IM.
- Pediatric: 10-25 mg slow IV or IM.
Duration of action
- Onset: rapid
- Peak effects: variable
- Duration: dependent upon degree of deficiency.
- Pregnancy safety: Category A.
- Large IV doses may cause respiratory difficulties.
- Anaphylaxis reactions reported.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview